Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Passing out

I locked myself out of my office today. (Wicked smaht) I took the elevator down to the 2nd floor to see if I could find the building manager. He wasn't in, but I found someone else who has a master key. Sweet!

She was a young girl - very thin and fit, and she took a left out of her office and started running up the stairs from the 2nd floor to the 5th. Now, I'm in a very old building with very high ceilings, and there are 2 full flights of stairs between each floor.

I didn't want to look out of shape (although I'm not sure how she could have missed that part by looking at me), so I ran along right behind her, up 6 flights of stairs! By the time we reached the top, my head felt like it was a helium balloon, and I couldn't catch my breath. She tried to talk to me about something, but I just wandered away. LOL

It took me several minutes to return to my normal breathing pattern again. I felt like a big fat load, BUT it reminded me of the stairs in my office in Boston. That was six flights too, and I was proud of myself for walking up them leisurely without having a heart attack, so I should be okay with running up six flights, and just barely avoiding passing out.

I'm glad I got that experience over with. Every time I pass the stairs, I think about how I should use them, rather than the elevator. When I'm carrying my heavy lap top bag, it's too much, but without that, I really should. From now on, it's the stairs for me. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to run up all 8 flights (from the ground floor) without having a near death experience!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

You chose to wander away from her rather than addressing what she had to say while out of breath?

LMAO

You are IT

Even out of breath, you made it up 6 flights... I wouldn't have... I would not have even attempted it!

I had a simimar experience when I was locked out of your old office at hfh, Nathan had the key and zipped his 98 pounds up the steps with ease as I dragged behind him, out of breath.

Of course that was 2 flights.

oh well.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I read your blogs and I am reminded of how very different we are. Perhaps with a loaded gun pointed at my head, i would choose the stairs. But let's be honest here, if God wanted us to use the stairs he wouldn't have invented the elevator.

I would have met her at my office after leisurely taking the elevator.