Wednesday, April 15, 2009

New Beginnings

" i thank you god for most this amazing day..." e.e. cummings

I remember reading that poem when I was in grade school. Our assignment was to determine whether or not e.e. cummings meant he was thanking God most (first and foremost) for this amazing day, or if he was thanking God for this most amazing (think bill and ted's [most] excellent adventure) day.

Knowing Mr. no rules cummings, I'm sure he was just being provocative. Either way, the statement has always stayed with me. I don't know if a beautiful day goes by when I don't walk out of my house, and think to myself, "I thank you, God, for most this amazing day." (I think with proper grammar (sometimes), unlike the original work, hence the difference from the original quote.) ;-)

I've been blessed. Within the past few weeks, I've spent time at the both the Atlantic and Pacific ocean, in the desert of Palm Springs, kayaking out my front door, running down the streets of Portsmouth with my adorable, sweet puppy, eating divine foods at top notch restaurants, laughing, singing and loving my life.

I'm sure some of you may want to smack me for being so very sunny, and don't you worry, there's more to me than just puppy dogs and sunshine (LOL), but I'm trying to focus on the positive. Life is so short, and there is so much misery. I'm choosing joy.

Times are tough. I lost a job that I really loved this past year. It would be understandable for me to lament this loss, but it would not be productive. I do my best to put my energy toward productivity and/or in the direction of overall wellness and fulfillment. I'm certainly not always successful. I hope that by writing about the ways in which I'm bringing joy into my life, I will stay focused on just that.

I am a work in progress, and I'm striving for progress, not perfection. I want to be a healthier person, in every way imaginable. I've made great strides in that direction over the past few years, but I have a long way to go.

I'll keep you posted on my journey through this blog, and I look forward to hearing from you as well!

To new beginnings!

Cheers,
Kristen.

7 comments:

The Darce said...

I know I didn't comment on Phatband but I really enjoyed reading it. I am very excited to read this new blog. I think it's great that you will be sharing your sunny knowledge with the world. We could all use a little sun in our life. XO : )

Kitty said...

I ditto what the Darce said : ) ...and BTW, Happy Birthday Darcy!!

Carmen said...

At first I was a little upset at your choice to stop your phatband blog...your journey has been inspirational for me. However, I guess if you have a new blog that I can still keep tabs on you from, I will choose joy too! I look forward to your positive energy, you're being felt coast to coast...that sounds a little pervy, but I mean it in a totally wholesome kind of way. LOL

Kristen said...

LOL - you are too funny, Carmen!

Don't you worry - I'm still going to talk about healthy choices, etc..., on this blog - it's just going to be a broader range of topics, and a more holistic approach to health, rather than being quite so focusedon the micro of weight loss...

Thanks for reading! :)

Anonymous said...

Just finished paying my federal taxes.

Nadya Suleman the next one's on me!

Wow I guess I can even find the joy in life!

Alison... said...

I guess it's time for a new blog - I love the look of it and look forward to being inspired further.

Stephanie said...

I'm sad to lose Phatband, too - but I'll definitely be reading you over here! Remember how Mom said she should have named you Kristen Joy?