Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pahk the cah in havahd yahd

I've decided to finish out my degree at Harvard. For so long, I thought school names meant nothing, and for the most part, I still agree...but it all depends.

First of all, at this point in my career, the fact that I'm still finishing my undergraduate degree is a bit ridiculous, and rather than finishing it out at some generic school, I've decided I want to upgrade.

Secondly, I have a bio that's used for speaking engagements, and the more I move along in my career, the more my bio is used in other areas. I'd like to graduate from a good school, since my schooling is looked at more in my career than in some others.

Also, I have never been really challenged, and I'd like to learn something. I would also like to make good contacts, and I think I can at Harvard. They offer hundreds of online classes, so I can continue to have a flexible school schedule, but I can also take classes on site if I want to, and that may be fun.

They have a continuing education program, and I know someone who graduated from there, and she is very bright, and she found the program to be challenging and great at the same time.

Since it's designed for adult learners, the admission process is different. You have to complete 3 classes first with a B or better grade, and then you can be admitted. I guess they feel as though that's a good way to assess whether or not you can make it there, and I think that makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to sign up for one class this fall, and I'm taking the summer off from school. As soon as I'm admitted, I'm going to look into their MBA program to take the courses that will be support me in that program.

I know I'll probably have to take more classes than I was going to in order to complete my undergraduate degree, but I think it will be worth it in the end. What's a while longer at this point?!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Harvard, eh? That's quite an upgrade!

And you know at least 2 people who graduated there because that Howard Dean worker who stayed with you graduated from there too... I can't think of his name... maybe Josh?

Anyway, I'm glad Harvard has some on line classes - yay!

Anonymous said...

I think this is an awesome idea!! Yay for you.

I think it will be very excitimng and great for your bio