Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Insanity

I need to be better about balance. It's Wednesday afternoon, and I'm leaving for Nashville on Saturday. Before that, I have about 30 hours of work I need to finish, a keynote speech I need to write for a presentation tomorrow night, I need to pack, I need to practice...a lot, I still have to figure out which songs I want the band for, vs guitar, piano, soundtrack, etc..., prepare my house for renovations while I'm away, and I'm planning to spend Friday with my Mom as it's her last day here.

I thought it would be fine to fly out to Nashville the day my Mom was leaving, but I didn't realize how much preparation went into recording a CD. Duh. For someone else, recording this CD would be a huge focus for them, but for me, it's an expensive afterthought.

It's okay, I rationalize. It's just my first CD. This one will be a practice run. My rationalizations save me from all of my errors.

Part of choosing joy in life is choosing balance - not taking on more than you can possibly accomplish. You can't do everything well if you're trying to do everything at once. I need to be much better about not spreading myself so thin that I'm ineffective.

In the mean time, I'm going to schedule each hour of my time as wisely as I can, and I know I'll get it all done.

4 comments:

Alison... said...

You do spread yourself thin but you also accomplish more in any given day than anyone I know so I can totally see why you try to get so much in!

But yes, you need to slow down... just a little.

;-)

Anonymous said...

I think your CD will be more fun than you realize. You are going to have a ball.

I almost forgot aboutomorrow night

Kristen said...

i *did* forget about tomorrow night until a few hours ago when i remembered i have a keynote speech i need to write because we have this event tomorrow - i'm dumb.

Alison... said...

I remembered about tomorrow off and on all week but forgot to remind you 2 jamokes.... oops sowy.