Saturday, June 20, 2009

Clay Aiken


Seeing as though I have to start recording in 2 days, I thought I ought to get around to thinking about a flow and theme and sound for my CD. I have only practiced formally about 3 (maybe 4) times, but I have tried to sing in the car, and while kayaking, etc...not enough by any means, but I'm busy!
.
I know the songs, and I'm hoping I'll get direction from the producer. When I looked at the songs I had chosen (half due to the fact I could get copyrights easily for, and not necessarily what I would have picked if I had more time), it was clear that I have the potential to put a soulful, gospel style CD together, so that's the theme I'm going for.
.
As far as the sound, without realizing it, I think I'm envisioning a kind of Clay Aiken feel for the whole thing. One of my favorite songs to listen and sing to is his version of _Bridge over Troubled Water_ that he sang with the gospel choir on American Idol. I think he as an amazing, powerful and beautiful voice. I want to be just like him. :)
.
Well, at least I set the bar low. Oy. Hey - it doesn't hurt to be inspired by people who are really good at what they do. After all, if you aim for nothing, that's what you'll hit.
.
I'm downloading 2-4 versions of all of the songs I'm singing to my iPod to listen to on the plane. Partly so I can learn them and partly to get ideas of what sounds good for the songs.
.
For the first time since I booked this trip, I'm starting to see it all as reality. I am going to be in a studio with a producer, and a band and back up singers, etc...in 2 days...recording a CD. That's a very interesting scenario.

.
I haven't even sang in ages, and although I've always loved singing, I really didn't think I'd be recording a CD in a professional studio, but I am. I think it's something I've always wanted to do deep down, and I could put it off until I'm formally trained, and when I've had lots of time to pick out the perfect songs, and all that, but knowing me, that day would never happen.
.
If it weren't for spontaneity, I'd probably never accomplish anything. I have very little time for planning, and I hope that doesn't hold me back.
See you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your new cd! You have chosen a great role model. I think clay has a fantastic voice too. So many of the current singers can't even sing, they depend on electronics to make them sound good.

Alison... said...

I love Clay Aiken and I think he has a good voice too... but what do I know, right?

LOL

Have a blast in Nashville and good for you for doing something you love.