Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dress for Success


I was driving to work this morning, and the sun was out, the leaves were changing colors, and overall, I finally felt (almost) like I imagine people in the movies do when they are driving to work in a good mood with the sun out, listening to tunes...I also romanticize about how nice it must be to head to work in such an upbeat way.

In New England, it's usually either dark, rainy, foggy or snowy on the way to work.  Sunny mornings are not always the usher to our workplaces, and they cannot be taken for granted.  I was thinking that the one thing that would make my experience totally movie fabulous was if I liked my outfit.

Since I lost a bunch of weight and I was only working in an office a few days a week, I don't have enough clothes in the rotation.  Also, I'm really sick of a lot of them, and some of the clothes I wear are just plain ugly, such as the outfit I have on today.  I look like a librarian, and I'm so *not* a librarian...I hardly know how to read.

I *hate* to buy clothes now while I'm losing, but I'm thinking of getting a few new jackets that I can coordinate with dress pants and shirts I already have.  If I buy jackets just a little on the small side, I should be able to get 6 months use out of them, and as long as I buy them on sale, that's good enough for me.

Liking the way you look is very central to feeling good about yourself, and of course, choosing joy.  I make sure my face and hair looks good each day, and I should take more caution with the rest of the package.  I just ordered a few new things online, and it's a start.  I can't buy a new wardrobe today on a whim...can I?  ;-)

I can't wait until the day when I can fit into exactly whatever I want to wear, and I don't have to buy clothing that I know is only going to be temporary.  That will be a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cheerful way to drive in to work. I am usually listening to the radio and flipping off people who cut me off. Where do you live Mayberry? Oh, yeah you do.

You should check out Sims or that outlet store in Woburn for some good deals on coats. Maybe we can go bargain shopping before dinner Friday night

Alison... said...

No, you can't buy a new wardrobe on a whim!

I thought Sims was expensive... but what do I know?

I am awfully glad I don't have to dress up for work. I feel good knowing that I can wear casual clothing ever day. It makes me happy.

Yet, I still do my hair and put on make up each too.

Just sayin.

Carmen said...

I hear that! I won't allow myself to buy any new pants because i really really really want all the ones I already own...and love...to fit me again. SO in the meantime I rotate between the same 5 lame pairs each week. It's really bad...seriously. Now if I could just convince myself to stop consuming enough food for a small army each day maybe I could get back to my old self a lot sooner...hmmm