Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A lovely morning


I didn't have to be up early this morning, but I was done sleeping at 5:30 AM, so I headed to the gym.  I know that most people (including me usually!) go to the gym to work out, but I had a different agenda today.  My back and neck are still quite sore, so I just went in for a quick tanning session.  I know that tanning isn't good for you if you do it all the time, but I think if you just do it a few times in the winter, it can't possibly do long term damage...at least that's what I tell myself!  :)

As I laid in the tanning bed, I closed my eyes and pictured that I was lying on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, with the big green waves crashing on the shore, and the sun beating down on me.  Ahhhhhhhhhh.

This is the first winter (in as long as I can remember) that I haven't planned a trip south (Dallas and Atlanta don't count because I said so).  I know there's still time, and I probably will, but I don't know....Darcy really doesn't have any time off, so it would have to be a weekend thing, and I don't know if I want to risk getting sick on the plane (which ALWAYS happens) for just a weekend away. 

It doesn't hurt that we have Paris and Tuscany to look forward to in April...

So every once in a while, I go for a tan, and I pretend that it's not winter, and that it's the sun making me warm, and not gross synthetic bulbs.  I think we all get a touch of seasonal affective disorder, and it's a good idea to find those things that help us escape the winter blues.

When I came home, I decided to go into the hot tub, and while I soaked, I watched the sun rise over the frozen lake, and I thanked God for all the beauty and the blessings in my life.

4 comments:

Stephanie Carnes said...

I can't condone the tanning :-), but I did read some time ago that NH is the state with the highest level of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I know there are cloudier states, but there you have it.

Alison... said...

Dallas, Atlanta and Europe in the span of 5 months... ya, I can see why you feel you need to plan a trip somewhere warm - LOL.

JK

Glad you enjoyed your tanning... you get very relaxed in there as you viualize... good for you.

Alison... said...

PS - I love that painting. I'm sure it must be famous and I just don't know it but it looks like lake numaske from your vantage point.

Anonymous said...

I am all for pampering ones self. I hope you enjoyed your morning. It sounded really nice to me!