Thursday, February 18, 2010

A little stab of love

Darcy had an appointment for acupuncture earlier this week, and I decided I wanted to join her and take part in the fun!  I'd never been before, but I'm open to all new life experiences.  There is a wonderful little place in Manchester called Manchester Acupuncture Studio, and they operate under the philosophy that acupuncture is a valid medical option and it should not be cost prohibative.

As such, they price their sessions between $15 and $35 - you choose what you can afford to pay.  To keep costs down, they model the traditional community room setting that was most traditional in acupuncture settings in Asia.

We started by answering a fairly in depth medical questionnaire, and then we met with a consultant and discussed what our goals were, as well as our initial treatment plans.  Then we went into a cozy room with brick walls, high ceilings, lights, plants, and soothing sounds where we relaxed in a recliner and suggled up with a blanket while the hair thin needles were inserted into key locations, based upon our goals.

It was incredibly relaxing.  Many people fall into deep sleep that lasts for hours, and that is encouraged.  Others may just rest for 20-30 minutes and feel that is enough.  We were in that group, though they did warn us that the more we visit, the more comfortable we will be, so we may stay longer and longer. 

I can't wait to go again, and I'm in luck, because I have another appointment this morning!

3 comments:

Alison... said...

I would love to try that, I have always wanted to...

Do you know if they have eveing appts?

I'm there!

Glad you relaxed and enjoyed, did Darcy relax too?

Anonymous said...

I did it before. Not quit ethe same experience you had. And I still left a smoker. Maybe I should try it for back pain.

Carmen said...

oooo! I like! I think I may need to look up a place out here. I definitely need some deep sleep!