Saturday, March 6, 2010

Garageband

I bought an iMac last year to work on my documentary, and it has been quite an adjustment getting used to using a computer that isn't a PC.  I still have a PC and a laptop that I use most of the time, but I have the iMac for creative projects.  I have started and stopped my documentary work many times because iMovie can be a bit confusing, but now I have a book to help me through it.

Macs also come with a program called Garageband, and I have heard great things about it, but I hadn't gotten around to trying it until today.  Let me tell you, it is AWEsome.  I started working on an oil painting this afternoon, and I had the idea to record back up to a hip hop track by only using a canvas (for a painting) as the instrument other than my voice. 

You can layer different sounds to make the track, of course, so I did one layer of me just rhythmically scratching the canvas, which sounded like a record scratch, and then I used it as a few different drum sounds, and I also added a few layers of me beat boxing, and then I wrote the lyrics to go with it, and I recorded the chorus and the rap that goes along with it.  What fun! 

I'm going to re-record the whole thing another time because I know how to use the program better now that I played around with it, and then I'll post a link to the song.

You can record original sounds, vocals, instruments, etc...  You can also use the software instruments that are preloaded into the program, so I also recorded a dance/trance track that came out really cool.  You can actually use the keyboard as a piano, drum set, guitar, etc...

I know I'm going to have a LOT of fun with this program, and I'll probably record a full length album in my home office.  Unless I upgrade my equipment, it certainly wouldn't be professional quality, but I think it would be fun for friends and youtube at the very least.  :)

I also ended up finishing the oil painting I started, and I think it will look cool in the new movie theater nook we have. 

I absolutely love to create, and I am going to make a conscious effort to spend a little time each week working on creative projects.  That's my goal at least!

2 comments:

Alison... said...

Glad that you took the time out to feed your creative side, can't wait to hear the rap!

Anonymous said...

Were the blogs, the CD, and the movie not enough creative outlet for you?....lol