Thursday, December 3, 2009

Public Speaking


I have spent a great deal of time this week giving presentations, and I don't see that ending any time soon.  In my new role, it seems they want me to talk a lot.  I don't mind, but it can be hard to get work done if I'm constantly "performing."

I wonder to myself...am I going to have some role or some next step in life that involves a lot of public speaking?  Is that why I'm suddenly in public speaking bootcamp?  Now, as you know, I've done a good share of public speaking for years, but over the next few months, I'll be doing about 4 presentations each week, on various topics, to various audiences.

I'm wondering if Oprah is behind all this, somehow grooming me to take her place.  Oh, O, that is so you!

I gave one presentation this morning, and it went well, and the people were so interested in the topic, that I launched into a condensed version of a separate presentation after, and did both for them.  Tadaaaaa!

Look what I can do!

haha

I've been invited to speak at the local prison to help the inmates with job seeking skills when they are released.  I think it's a great program, and naturally, I love the opportunity to visit a prison, and of course, I'm bringing TJ.  I knew he'd want in on this action too. 

It's a great experience to be able to speak to all different kinds of audiences.  In fact, perhaps I am the answer to Palin's 2012 run? 

LOL - no thanks, Oprah makes way more money and is way more respected and beloved than any president.  ;-)

Delusions of grandeur aside, I'm wondering when I'm supposed to get all my work done when I'm presenting or planning for presentations all the time. 

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Oh well - I'll git er done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a talking guru. Yes you may have less time to work as you "perform", but everything does not need to be done so fast. You have so many ideas and you rush to implement them...lol.

Slow down they will all get done

Alison... said...

You're an outstanding speaker of course...

The key to how great you are is that you know your audience and adapt as you're going to keep them interested.

You change the tone and the speed of speech depending on the audience. Most speakers aren't that tuned into their audience.

I have been to so many speeches where the speaker would drone on and on even though it's completely obvious to everyone in the room [cept the speaker] that everyone is bored to tears.

That would never happen to you... you'd cut your talk shorter or move along more quickly or switch gears if you had a bored group.

OBV.

[but you'd never have a bored group]

;-)

Anyway, that's a great opportunity to speak at the prison... how'd you get that gig?